Sunday, January 31, 2010

Odd Dreams

The last couple of nights I tried a different sleep med. It was a very restless sleep, waking up, rolling over & going back to sleep every hour. But evidently I *did* sleep some, because I had odd dreams both nights. One last night is worth sharing - and if anyone can analyze it - go for it!

I pulled out of the garage on the motorcycle my former husband & I had. This was the one that was way too tall for me, but in the dream it was no longer a Kawasaki, but a Harley FatBoy, sans helmet. I rode along a winding road to an old cafe. I took my tray thru a cafeteria line and got a grilled cheese sandwich & ordered fried okra, (which the lady brought out to me because it wasn't done yet). The bowl of okra was huge!

As I was finishing up, a very young, very handsome man came over & sat across from me explaining (with an accent) he had ordered a piece of chocolate pie and couldn't possibly eat it all; would I share? Well of course I would share .. it was after all Chocolate! He carefully cut the piece of pie & plopped my half on the greasy plate where my grilled cheese had been. As we were finishing and I was thanking him, he looked at me sheepishly and said he was so sorry but he didn't have any money to pay for his meal or the pie.

Not feeling the least bit of compassion, and highly annoyed that he had planned it from the beginning (overweight, middle-aged women are good targets, considering we're all supposed to be terribly lonely and vulnerable), I fished out $10 and paid for my sandwich & okra and with the change gave him $3 for my half of the pie. Turned around and walked out.

Back on the bike, this time *with* a helmet, I made a half circle to pull out of the parking lot and back onto the highway. As I turned, I caught a glimpse of two teen-aged girls giggling and pointing my way. End of dream.

Ok, I get the loss of youth and returning to my past. I get the humiliation factor. I get that the accent came from a recent Subway experience my son had. But what the heck was the grilled cheese & okra????

Tonight will be back to the old sleep med. It's $90 instead of $12 for the others ... but really - motorcycles & okra????

2 comments:

  1. Grilled cheese and okra...comfort foods...southern foods...foods from our childhood...the things that have made us what we are.

    You should take the new meds long enough to revisit the dream and chase those giggling teens around the parking lot a few times.

    I'm just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn Heartsong: I wouldn't mind going for a long, long ride on that Harley!

    ReplyDelete