Thursday, February 4, 2010

My Cup-Holder's Broken

Today when I switched cd's in my computer from Johnny Lang to Ladysmith Black Mambazo, I remembered something a former co-worker had done many years ago. You have to understand that when I first started working we stamped bills paid with a rubber stamp and had paper cards for every customer that were kept in bins that circled around like a Ferris wheel. We eventually got 'terminals' that were connected to the company network & we could access the customer accounting system (two of us shared one terminal). Thennnnn we got pc's. Wow.

The lady that entered our payroll had never used a pc before, and she found it was apparently shoddy-built because her cup holder didn't last anytime at all. I remember the look on the IT tech's face when she called him & he came careening around the corner to see what the heck she was talking about. Yep .. she had been putting her Pal's tea (for those of you not from the south, that's a 32 oz styrofoam cup full of the best iced tea you've ever had) in the cd drive tray. It cracked. When it cracked, it poked her cup and her precious tea was leaking. Confounded pc.

'You've got to be kidding me', he asked with wide eyes. She replied, 'Absolutely not; I've used this thing less than a month & it's already broken!' With tight lips he unhooked her computer and carried it off to replace the cd drive. I heard him mutter as he huffed around the corner ... 'some people just don't need a computer!'.

Every now and then, when I see him in the hallway I can't resist saying, 'Hey Bill, I think my cup-holder's broken!'.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I can see where it could be mistaken for a cup holder...and that a Techie would not appreciate it at all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a shame about the tea. Tried that tea recently and it was Gooooooooood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son has been asking me to get him some Earl Grey next time I purchase from Republic of Tea; my first experience with Earl Grey was not good, but tried it the other morning with breakfast and it was really good. My tastes must have changed. Think I'll have to get his and some for me also...

    ReplyDelete