Saturday, September 18, 2010

Looking Back - Moving Forward

Yesterday evening I was reviewing some of my older posts; back to the beginning when I started this blog. I had sent a link to a co-worker who has also been diagnosed with breast cancer (oddly enough she does the same job I do in a different location). Wow. That seems a lifetime ago.

I'm in the slow process of reconstruction. It's going well, and I'm hoping to have my last surgery near the end of this year. I have small 'boobie-bumps' where I was once concave. There will be some 'finishing touches' to do after the first of next year. I have regained much of my energy since finishing my chemo last fall. Scars have healed well. Still have some random pain where the lymph nodes were removed. Still have a lot of numbness under left arm (that will not go away). The Femara that helps keep the cancer from returning is taking its toll. I had 'trigger' thumbs on both hands which had to be corrected by surgery back in June .. one of the top-ten side-effects of the Femara. Have had gradually increasing joint pain .. fingers, elbows, hips, knees. For now I'm trying to counteract that with Aleve; will discuss with oncologist when I see him later this month.

I've been able to move past much of the breast cancer roller coaster ride, with the exception of the above reminders. They will be with me for a while yet. And that's ok .. I'll work through it.

Today I have a clean house, clean sheets, laundry in progress, the faint scent of lavender, a kitty to cuddle, and a movie to watch later. It's a wonderful day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment