Saturday, November 21, 2009

#8 - All Done !

My last chemo treatment was this past Thursday; hopefully last Neulasta shot was on Friday. Even though I'm officially done, I still have the effects of this one to get through. The pain & fatigue kicked in today, and I expect tomorrow and Monday to be harder. Then .. then .. I'll start back on the upswing for the last time. Usually just about the time I start feeling better, it's time for the next treatment. This time that day will come and go and I will be able to continue upward, rising back up through the swirling waters to break the surface instead of being shoved under once again.

There was a point I stopped referring to my pre-surgery, pre-chemo life as my 'normal life'. The treatment schedule became my 'normal'. The roller-coaster ride is almost over, although there will be bloodwork & scans to follow. Now that I'm nearing the time to return to work, to go back to that former schedule and lifestyle, I'm as apprehensive as I am excited.

In the beginning I described breast cancer as a 'detour', expecting to return to the same road in my life after treatment was over. I'll never be back on that same road again. The road has changed. My life has changed. I'm looking forward to the new path.

5 comments:

  1. Hooray for the last treatment!! And best of luck on the *new* road :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about calling you this morning (Sunday), but reading that you expect today and Monday to be difficult, I'll not bother you. I love you...and I'm so happy that this is the last o the treatments. We'll talk soon, I hope...

    L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your last treatment!! Life will not be the same, but you can at least settle down to hopefully feeling a little better; without knowing that you will have to go for a treatment and feeling nasty afterwards.

    ReplyDelete