Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Pain in the Neck ... or ... Have I Been Bitten ?

Today I had my port-o-cath put in & an echocardiogram to be sure my heart is strong enough to have the chemo treatments. Echo was interesting, not that I could tell a thing about it other than my heart was beating. It sounded like an old wringer washing machine. The port procedure went ok. I was expecting to be sorta loopy, but was wide awake, only numbed. So far the incision isn't painful at all, but the catheter that goes up through the large vein in my neck is extremely painful. Hurts much to turn my head at all, and especially getting up & down, etc. They tell me this should subside in several days, but may always be sensitive. I'm hoping it feels a lot better before my first treatment on Thursday. Back to pretend baths for a couple of days. I've really learned to appreciate showers.

Somehow it all seems very fitting since I'm reading books about vampires. I can manage the pain by closing my eyes and pretending I've been bitten .

No comments:

Post a Comment