Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Best Buddy

Today my best buddy & I celebrated a new litter box. Yep, you read that right. Seemed like a 'splurge', but some things just need to be replaced on a regular basis. This one is fancy, with a larger clear swinging door that lets more light in and hopefully will seem less confining.

My kitty, Badajan, celebrated his 17th birthday this past Mothers' Day. He was born in this house, downstairs, under the ping-pong table (which is long-since gone). His mother, Gweneviere, was a previously outdoor kitty that someone dropped off at the animal shelter when she came home pregnant. Gwen was a beautiful black & white cat who stood at the door and cried to be outside. After having her litter of five kittens, she retired to a co-workers farm and was much happier. Three of the kitties moved to other homes, and two stayed here with us.

Michaelangelo was a classic short-haired tiger-striped tabby who followed after Deacon (my son), and wasn't especially affectionate with anyone else. He had a penchant for sitting behind you and playing in your hair. He suffered occasional seizures and died about five years ago.

Badajan is a medium-haired, black & white kitty who shows evidence of being part Maine Coon.
In his youth, he weighed about 13 pounds, but over the past few years has lost considerable weight. Once an amazingly beautiful cat, he has begun to show his age with little hip-bones protruding, and coat losing its lustre. He's still beautiful to me.

What's still incredible about this cat is his intense affection. He brings new meaning to the term 'lap cat'. Wherever I am, he wants to be close by, sitting or lying on top of me. At night he often sleeps fully stretched out the length of my back. It feels like he's trying to cover as much of me as possible to protect me. He likes to be cuddled and rocked. He likes when I sing to him. (His favorite is 'Jesus Loves Us'. He comes to bed when I say 'It's bedtime for kitty-cats and little girls !'.

Somewhere around six or eight months ago, he abruptly started insisting he lie across my chest. If I'm sitting, he walks up to my shoulder and drapes himself over my chest. If I'm lying down, he lies completely across my chest, just inches from my face. When I try to make him move, he protests loudly and comes right back. I have to wonder if he's known about my breast cancer long before I had any suspicions.

I also wonder how I'm going to deal with that when I get home from surgery. I've started luring him away from lying on top of me at night with a heating pad. He loves the heating pad. He cuddles with me for a few minutes, then heads for the warm spot. As annoying as it seemed at times though, I miss my bed-buddy. Maybe somehow he will understand that it's not ok to lie on top of Mommy when she has stitches.

I love this cat. He's my best friend. He loves me back. I know the time I have left with him may be short, and the thoughts of not having this incredible creature close to me are devastating. He has to stay with me at least during my recovery. He just has to.





















5 comments:

  1. what a beautiful tribute! we had a cat for 17 years when my kids were growing up.

    you know how cats sense what we need and want. your sweet cat will probably know just where to lie with you in bed after surgery. i'm so glad you have your best friend through all of this! what a great comfort.

    will you be having chemo? it's advised during chemo not to be near litter boxes because your immune system will be compromised. here's a link that mentions it: http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=314
    it was one of the things mentioned on my chemo sheet, to avoid litter boxes, etc. my friend debbie had her sister do it for her all through chemo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surgeon thinks he'll be able to get a very good margin & I won't have to do either chemo or radiation. But .. he won't know that for sure until he gets in there. So, I'm being hopeful but not counting on it.
    I remembered the litter box hazards from when I was pregnant. I have a co-worker who takes care of Badajan when I'm gone .. I think she would be willing to do his litter box if needed.
    Thanks for stopping by !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey lady,
    I am sure Badajan felt something before you knew about it. My kitty knew something was wrong when my sister died - she slept wrapped around my neck the night I found out she was gone. My cat never did that before - and never did it after. I hope Badajan hangs in there for you.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Miss Sue ! Thanks for stopping by !

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much of a blessing as Badajan is to you, you have enriched his life just as much. Blessed cat, blessed woman...and a good match. Here's to his health and yours...

    L

    ReplyDelete