Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Today's rant.    I do so much better when I keep my head in the sand.
I stopped watching the news several years ago in order to avoid a stroke. I even blocked Fox News from my tv so I wouldn't accidentally land on it in between 'The Waltons' and 'Designing Women'. In the last week or so I've scanned some news so I wouldn't be totally in the dark. That was a mistake. I suspect my blood pressure is off the chart. There is something I simply don't understand. When did extremist, militant Christians get such a death grip on our country ???? When I was in school we were taught there was to be a separation of church and state. I understood that to mean that NO religion was to be promoted over another by our government bodies .. not even my own. I don't understand politicians and other leaders in our country inflicting their concept of what's right & what's wrong on others by introducing legislation designed to promote their own narrow-minded beliefs. I would also extend that to business leaders who do the same by manipulating employees by withholding benefits based on their own whims. I may be straight, but I will fight for the rights of the gay community to be equal to my own. I may be Christian, but I will fight for the rights of the Atheists and Pagans and Buddhists to peaceably live their lives according to their own beliefs .. very often they seem to have higher ethics and greater compassion than those of us who call ourselves Christian. I understand the 'right to bear arms', but I'll fight to limit weapons created for the sole purpose of inflicting as much agony and death as possible in as short amount of time as possible. Why on God's green earth would anyone want such a thing in their home ? Why would an organization that promotes itself as one that enriches the lives of young boys refuse entrance to those who are struggling with their sexual identity. Why would a state legislator propose a law that would strip young people of the opportunity to confide in a school counselor. Why would they isolate and further abuse those that have already suffered so much. Bullying in our schools will never stop until it stops at home and in our courts. When the Christian-Taliban takes over our country and the gays are all put behind a fence, I hope one of them will cut a hole in the wire and let me in.
I apologize in advance for my rant, for venting on you. Or maybe I don't. I'm angry. And my voice will likely never be heard. I see small pockets of people of the Christian faith who are finally standing up and saying these malicious people are NOT representative of all of us. I want to stand with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment