Sunday, October 11, 2009

Joy Cometh in the Morning

There is a verse from the Bible that has often sustained me since I was a teenager. Psalm 30:5: "... weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning". Even during times when I thought my world was crushed, there was indeed a morning that brought new joy and restored happiness. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, a friend who had heard those same words in her life, cautioned me to 'Remember it's a season, not a lifetime.'

Yesterday was a hard day. I started the series of Taxol treatments on Thursday, hoping it would be easier than the Adriamycin/Cytoxan. So far I can't say that it's easier, just a different set of side-effects. Not nearly as much nausea, but muscle & deep bone pain. My hands & feet look like they're very badly sunburned. Blisters between my fingers. This morning they aren't quite as tender; I'm hoping the blisters heal in a couple more days. I have meds to take for the pain, creams to put on my hands. So on this cool, damp, fall day, I'll rest and give my body a chance to heal, and wait for morning.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could be there with you, Sis...maybe some warm soup and companionable silence to help fill the time until morning. I am grateful for technology that let's us "touch" across the miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to resist electronics & technology, but I've learned it keeps those dearest to us just a click away. I'm thankful for the people with enough patience to teach me how to use them !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would soaking in a bath help? Seems like nice epsom salt maybe with a nice fragrance might be just the ticket. Sorry that this course also has its challenges. Know that we are sending happy thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking just exactly that, Sue. Even a nice, looooong shower just before bed would probably help. And thanks for the positive thoughts !

    ReplyDelete