Sunday, February 27, 2011

Loving My Neighbor

One day last week my e-devotional was Galatians 5:14, "For the whole law is summed up in a single commandment, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself'." It seems Paul was trying to diffuse arguments about circumcision in the early Church. He admonished that it was less important whether men were circumcised, and more important how they treated each other.

I'm quite certain in years past I've read that verse before; probably heard more than one sermon preached on it. But I never saw it quite as clearly as I did last week. Circumcision was the 'issue of the day' when Paul wrote the letter. Our issues have changed over the years, but the message is the same.

Do I love my neighbor as myself? No. It's easier when that neighbor is likable, when they agree with us, when they share our faith or our politics. When they differ, not so much. When people have different views, different lifestyles, it would seem then there is no license to berate, ridicule, or be less hospitable. Really? Over the years I've watched those called by the Christian name joke about gays, dooming them to Hell. I've watched other religions be discounted and disrespected. I've watched different denominations within Christianity tear at each other with venomous claws. How can that be?

If we truly believe the teachings of Jesus Christ, how could we entertain such attitudes? How can we stand by and watch others destroy with wounds and words and never utter a sound?

I am so sorry if I have been the one to treat someone else differently, with less love, because we viewed the world or lived our lives differently. It is not mine to judge, but simply to love. Is it possible to let people work out their own lives with their own God and simply treat them with kindness? Is that really so hard?

Honestly, I don't know if I'll ever truly 'love my neighbor as myself'. But I can take a step in that direction by saying ..

To the Gay community .. I'm sorry for the way I've treated you.

To the Pagans and the Muslims and the Roman Catholics and the Atheists .. I'm sorry for the way I've treated you.

To the aged who have given much to make my life easier .. I'm sorry for the way I've treated you.

To anyone I've ridiculed or belittled .. I'm sorry for the way I've treated you.

Holy Father, Blessed Mother, please help me allow your love to flow through me.
Help me to treat all human beings with dignity and respect, to value our diversity.
Caution me when I stand by and watch others destroy without objection.
Help me to open my mouth and say out loud, 'this is not right'.

Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.
Let me speak words of kindness in place of hatred.
Let me bind up wounds instead of inflicting them.
Help me aspire to loving my neighbor as myself.

7 comments:

  1. I saw a photo today of two women, one wearing a head and face covering that left only her eyes exposed, the other wearing a mask that covered her eyes. It evoked for me the idea of women oppressed on the one hand, and women turning a blind eye to their sisters' oppression on the other. We all need to open our mouths and say out loud, "This is not right."

    I love you. Thank you for giving voice to truth. Jim says hello and sends his love, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda - Thank you. I love both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indigo...your writing this morning reminds me of some of the reasons why many people are disillusioned with the christian faith...it's difficult to believe in something when its followers say to love your neighbor in one breath, yet spew such hatred in the next...sad...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy: You're exactly right. That's part of why I was disillusioned for so many years. Unfortunately the spewing of hatred seems so much more prevalent than loving our neighbor, or anyone other than our own little group. I've never quite understood it. I remember saying once, 'Forget the lions, God save us from the Christians'. I am so sorry if you have been hurt. I don't know how to heal the hurt, and I don't know how to bring change, other than making the change in my own life. As Maithri put it .. I don't want to be a Christian; I want to be like Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was raised Methodist and never knew there was any other way of being other than christian...raised my kids to think for themselves and told them to let god help them through their lives...

    Eventually I came to realize that it wasn't god that helped us through things, it was the power of nature, the elements, the planet...we made our choices...we should do the right things because it was the right thing to do...not because some god intimidated you into doing everything his way...such a self-important-better-than-anything-else pompous entity...

    Anyway, now my son has decided that God is the most important thing in his life...he's raising his kids so scared of God that it's frightening...I don't say anything because I want a relationship with them all, but we don't discuss religion...

    I'm so much happier since I released the christian god and found a different path...it's such a weight off my shoulders...to breathe free with Nature which is everything...

    Boy have I rambled...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy - I am so sorry. I don't think God is a terrorist. When we portray him to be so, and attempt to coerce others into believing in him with such tactics, we do him no service.

    I have had to revise my whole impression of God, releasing the image I had so long been taught, the "self-important-better-than-anything-else pompous entity" as you put it, sitting afar off waiting to strike me down for my mistakes.

    It was so enlightening to be able to empty my soul of all that, to allow a new understanding. I am unsure how to explain the blending of my basic foundation in God and earth-based traditions. There is no longer a conflict for me, but a balance, a peacefulness in knowing I have found the right path for me.

    For too long we have focused on 'differences' instead of embracing common ground. I am convinced we are really not so very far apart. Over the centuries it seems one 'side' has tried to obliterate the other (quite successfully), but in learning to open our minds to 'The All' (as my friend expresses), we attain the balance that was originally intended. For me, that means recognizing both my Father and a Sacred Feminine, who hold all the glories of nature in balance.

    I am so thankful to have finally found the path that fulfills me. I believe when we are honest-hearted and open minded, we can begin to find the path that will enlighten and liberate us.

    And now *I* am rambling (g). Thank you so much for stopping by and for sharing your views. I pray that your family relationship will heal, and that you will come to enjoy a respect for each other's paths.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings Indigo...Yes, I like the way you put this...your path and mine seem to have some similarities...plus we have both found one that works for us and is peaceful and liberating...deep sigh...wonderful feeling...Take care of yourself...

    ReplyDelete