Friday, June 11, 2010

For My Son

On a Sunday morning you started fighting your way into this world.
On a Wednesday afternoon you finally emerged with strong kicks and a lusty cry.
The birthing process wasn't easy for either of us.
As thrilled as I was to be able to cuddle you in my arms, I missed holding you in my tummy.

On a Tuesday morning you walked away from me into your first day of pre-school.
On a Friday evening you donned cap and gown and lifted high your diploma.
The birthing process wasn't easy for either of us.
As thrilled as I was to see you grow and learn, I missed cuddling you in my arms.

On a Saturday morning you packed up clothes and 18 years of treasures.
On a Sunday evening you spent your first night in your own apartment.
The birthing process wasn't easy for either of us.
As thrilled as I was to see you asserting your independence, I missed watching you grow and learn.

On a Monday morning you loaded a truck and moved 800 miles away.
On a Thursday afternoon you put me teary-eyed on a plane back to my empty nest.
The birthing process wasn't easy for either of us.
As thrilled as I was to see you bravely facing new challenges, I missed watching you discover your independence.

There is not a day you are not foremost in my thoughts.
There is not a day you do not consume my heart.
The birthing process hasn't been easy for either of us.
As thrilled as I am to see the man you've become, I will forever miss my little boy.


2 comments:

  1. Wonderfully put... brings back so many memories... and brings a tear to the eye...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love u so much!

    ReplyDelete