Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Less than 48 hours

In less than 48 hours, I'll have my mastectomy behind me. I'm finally having moments of 'the jitters'. Last night I fought nausea and it was a very long time before I went to sleep, even with a sleeping pill. Today I had spaces of time my mind just went completely blank. No panic though. I know everything will be fine; it's the 'process' of waiting for my turn in surgery, wondering how I'll feel when I wake up (both emotionally and physically), how much pain will I have, will I be able to sleep in a recliner when I have a hard time sleeping in my own bed.

Odd thing that a bilateral mastectomy is an outpatient procedure. I may be thankful for being home quickly though, in my own comfortable surroundings.

Today I am very thankful my son will be here tomorrow afternoon .. I am stronger when he is near. I am thankful for the kindness and caring of my sister. I am thankful for the strength of my mother. I am thankful for friends who truly do care, who take the time to say a sincere prayer, or light a candle, or chant a blessing.

I've had no inclination to pray for this to simply go away, only that I move through this season of my life with dignity. Father God, please guide my surgeon and caretakers, and grant me a swift recovery. Divine Mother, please grant me grace and a peaceful heart.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking of you and knowing you will be fine, up and at 'em in no time! Make sure you have big comfy shirts with buttons down the front - nothing you need to raise your arms for. I was able to sleep in bed after my mastectomy, but had lots of pillows keeping me at an angle. The main thing I wish I had done was take more pain meds than I did, because the second day after I got home, I woke up and felt like I had been run over. The soreness will kick in if you don't take enough pain meds. That was a big mistake on my part! I had no pain at all when I woke up from the surgery. I had surgery at 2 p.m. and was home the next day by noon. I felt terrific! I hope you do too. It's so great that your son will be there. I know having both of my sons with me made all the difference. Let us know how you're doing as soon as you can! If you ever need to talk, I'm always here for you. My email is deborah.lattimore@gmail.com, and I can send you my phone number. xoxo

    ReplyDelete